Monday, November 26, 2007

Crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ra6uehvngg

I had an assignment for my sociology class, and with so much discrimination in our world felt the need to share my paper...

The plot of this incredible movie is that several stories interweave during two days in Los Angeles involving a collection of inter-related characters, a police detective with a drugged out mother and a thieving younger brother, two car thieves who are constantly theorizing on society and race, the white district attorney and his irritated and pampered wife, a racist white veteran cop (caring for a sick father at home) who disgusts his more idealistic younger partner, a successful Hollywood director and his wife who must deal with the racist cop, a Persian-immigrant father who buys a gun to protect his shop, a Hispanic locksmith and his young daughter who is afraid of bullets, and more. (Imdb)

When I first saw this movie in a cinema while visiting New York City, I remember walking out into the streets after an intense two hours and looking at others around me differently. I didn’t know where they come from, what makes them who they are, or why they crossed my path at hat particular point in time. In the end reflecting on the entwined lives of all these characteristics, I couldn’t help but notice how we affect other people’s lives without knowing it. Race is such a derogatory factor in this motion picture, that it shook me to the core. I have always believed myself that one should not judge another, as one does not know them. In the end one sees in this Oscar winning depiction such a great example of the unknown aspects out there that changes so many others lives every single day. The heartbreaking moment when the little girls runs outside to protect her father, because he did not have his impenetrable cloak on; and possibly could have been shot had the shop owner’s daughter not bought blank bullets, made me shiver. This eye opening scene together with all the other events that unfolded in this depiction of life as we know it, simply shows the imperative need for change. I would suggest we look at the way we raise our children!

The moral of this movie for me was certainly that one should not discriminate. Every day someone dies because of discrimination, so one should really think about the next time one discriminates against anybody else, because one simple thought can lead to possible unfathomably horrible events.

No comments: